The centrepiece of our facility is a Bruker Daltonics 12T SolariX Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance Mass Spectrometer (FT-ICR MS). This instrument, the first of its kind in the UK, is equipped with multiple ionisation sources and dissociation methods.
- Electrospray ionization (ESI)
- Nano electrospray ionisation (nESI)
- Laser desorption/ionization (LDI)
- Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization (MALDI)
- Atmospheric pressure photoionization (APPI)
- Atmospheric pressure chemical ionization (APCI)
- Liquid Extraction Surface Analysis (LESA™)
- Collision-induced dissociation (CID)
- Electron transfer dissociation (ETD)
- Electron capture dissociation (ECD)
- Sustained on/off-resonance irradiation collision-induced dissociation (SORI-CID)
- Infrared multiphoton dissociation (IRMPD)
This state-of-the-art instrument is available as a research tool for both academic and industrial collaboration. FT-ICR MS displays the highest mass resolution (2,000,000), the best mass accuracy (sub-ppm) of any MS technique.
The SolariX MALDI source is based on a dual ion funnel design that includes the combination of MALDI and ESI. This unique source is capable of immediate and effortless switching between the two ionisation methods. The combination of MALDI with the SolariX FTMS addresses a need in the industrial and in academic research institutions for a high-performance imaging solution targeted specifically to the tissue distribution of small molecule drugs and metabolites, endogenous metabolic spatial profiling, and lipid imaging.
The SolariX MALDI system incorporates the innovative, proprietary smartbeam-II™ laser which includes a robust solid state 1 kHz laser with advanced optics for molecular imaging, for:
- Ultra-high mass resolution high-sensitivity small molecule MALDI-MS imaging, without a loss in sensitivity due to MS/MS for selectivity
- Sensitivity necessary to detect drugs and metabolites at therapeutic dosages
- Fast data acquisition of up to 1 pixel/sec with 1 kHz laser speed
- Laser spot sizes down to 20 um allowing high spatial resolution
- Instantaneous source switching allowing trouble free changeover from ESI to MALDI